The School has various tools and platforms that can be used to collaborate and communicate in groups:
Moodle forums – enable students to communicate easily and in class groups if you have set them up using seperate groups.
OneDrive – Personal storage includes 1TB of storage for all staff and students
LSE Filedrop – LSE Filedrop is a secure platform for sending and receiving large files (up to 39GB). Open to staff and PGR students, please visit: filedrop.lse.ac.uk and log in using your LSE username and password.
If you have any questions about the service or have difficulty accessing the platform, please contact the IT Service Desk (x5000).
- Microsoft Teams – A collaboration tool based around a chat interface. Documents can be uploaded to the Team for dicussion and editing. Teams also has a shared inbox and calendar. Staff and students can request a team via an online form. Any member of LSE (staff or student) can be added to a Team by the Team owner.
- SharePoint – allows collboration on documents across the LSE for LSE staff.
1. Anyone who uses it is allowing it to access and use the contacts on their phone. Some people might not be happy about that.
2. WhatsApp / Facebook grants itself certain permissions over your content:
“In order to operate and provide our Services, you grant WhatsApp a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, display, and perform the information (including the content) that you upload, submit, store, send, or receive on or through our Services. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating and providing our Services”
3. There is no guarantee provided around the service – so the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the service is not in any way to be relied upon:
WE WILL USE REASONABLE SKILL AND CARE IN PROVIDING OUR SERVICES TO YOU AND IN KEEPING IT A SAFE, SECURE, AND ERROR-FREE ENVIRONMENT, BUT WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT WHATSAPP WILL ALWAYS FUNCTION WITHOUT DISRUPTIONS, DELAYS, OR IMPERFECTIONS. YOU USE OUR SERVICES AT YOUR OWN RISK AND SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMERS. WE ARE PROVIDING OUR SERVICES ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES
That means, in terms of “using Whatsapp communication as evidence in case of complaints”, we won’t be able to provide any forensic evidence, and nor will WhatsApp provide any verifiability on any message sent through the network.