This guide will show you how to add a hero image to your course. A hero image should make the course visibly more appealing to users. However, you have to make sure that the image falls in line with certain guidelines and copyright laws:
- Aspect ratio: Images should be kept to a 4:1 aspect ratio. This means that the width of the image should not be more than 4x the height. Images outside of this aspect ratio may look distorted, stretched or pixalated.
- Image resolution: Images should conform to the minimum and maximum resolutions as noted below. These fall in line with the 4:1 aspect ratio.
- Minimum resolution: 1200 x 300px (WxH)
- Maximum resolution: 2560 x 640px (WxH)
- Make sure that the image you use does not break any copyright laws! You can find creative commons images on:
To add a hero image to your course, you need to do the following:
- Navigate to your course by choosing it from the My Courses drop-down or by searching for it.
- Click Edit settings within the administration block, found on the left hand side of the course
- Scroll down until you get to the Course summary files
- If there is an image already in the course summary files box you may need to delete it before uploading an image again. This can be done by clicking on the image and selecting the delete button.
- Now that you have found your new image, click the add image icon:
- Select Upload a file and click the Attachment button to browse for the image.
- Once you upload the image, select the relevant license type and click the Upload this file button.
- Final step, scroll to the bottom and click Save and display.
You may also want to add a course summary.