Etherpad Lite provides a shared workspace for students and staff. All updates are saved in real time unlike a file sharing system such as Dropbox.
- To start one, go to the relevant course on Moodle and Turn editing on. Click Add an activity or resource, select Etherpad Lite and Add.
- Give it a meaningful Name and, optionally, add a Description e.g. explaining its purpose and how it works. Click Save.
- When you first access it, some explanatory text appears in the window. It might be an idea to leave this there for a while until people get used to the concept of a shared document of this sort.
- When you start to type, the text is highlighted – if someone else starts typing at the same time it appears in a different colour as below. The icon top right indicates how many users are active. Authorship colours can be switched off using the the cog (settings) icon.
- If you click the cog (settings) icon top right, you have options to open a chat window and whether authorship colours are active by default. You can also change the language and direction of text.
For more information on Etherpad Lite, see http://etherpad.org/#about