Each year, Moodle courses are reset to remove old student data and make the courses available for the next cohort of students. Current staff and students will need to take action to ensure they have all the information they need from Moodle before the resets take effect.
Moodle courses are reset each year. This year, the reset will take place on:
- Tuesday 16th August 2016 for the majority of courses. Moodle will be unavailable all day for all users.
- Tuesday 13th September 2016 for courses used to collect dissertation submissions (primarily those with 499 course codes). These courses will be unavailable on Moodle all day.
To refresh Moodle courses, we remove student data, but not course content uploaded by editors, from the majority of courses so they are ready for the new cohort of students. See below for more details of what will be removed.
- All student enrolments
- Forum posts (and attachments) by students, teachers, and editors
- Events (in the course calendar)
- All student contributions, including :
- Assignment submissions
- Course completion data
- Groups (and group members)
- Local role overrides
- Quiz attempts
- Survey answers
- Survey analysis
- Wiki entries, comments and tags
- Any content uploaded by editors: Readings lists, lecture notes, links to papers etc.
- User accounts; staff and continuing students use the same accounts in the next academic year.
- Forum subscriptions
- Forum tracking preferences
- Groupings (groups of groups)
The reset takes place on two dates:
- Tuesday 16th August 2016 (the majority of courses) Moodle will be unavailable all day
- Tuesday 13th September 2016 (courses with “499” codes & other similar courses)
Note: Courses are made unavailable to students as part of the reset. Editors will need to make them available to the new cohort when ready.
I am a student – what do I need to do?
From 16 August 2016, you will be unable to access your Moodle courses for the 2015/16 academic session. If you will require any information stored on Moodle after that time, you will need to download it before 16 August.
If your dissertation will be submitted through Moodle, you will have until 13th September to make your submission and download any items you may need. You will not be able to submit assignments for the 2015/16 academic year through Moodle after 13th September, and must make other arrangements with your course teachers for late submissions.
I am a Moodle editor – what do I need to do?
Courses are made unavailable to students as part of the reset. Editors will need to make courses available to the new cohort when ready.
The majority of students will not have access to their 2015/16 Moodle courses beyond 16th August. Students must have downloaded any items they wish to continue to use before 16th August, and you must have downloaded all student assignment submissions.
The exceptions to this are:
- Courses used to collect dissertation submissions, which primarily applies to courses with course codes ending in 499. For these, the later reset date of 16th September will apply.
- Courses that will be used again by current students, e.g. departmental and programme level undergraduate courses. These will carry forward their student data to 2016/17.
After 13th September 2016, Moodle cannot be used to collect submissions for assignments due in the 2015/16 academic session. Separate arrangements must be made for students submitting 2015/16 assignments after 13th September.
If you have not already done so, you must contact LTI as soon as possible if your course is scheduled to be reset on 16th August and you would like to be available until the later reset date of 13th September, or if your course should retain all student data for 2016/17.
Updating Moodle courses
We recommend that updates to Moodle courses are made after 16th August 2016, where possible. We take archives of all reset courses so that we are able to reinstate them later if necessary. If you make changes before 16th August, please be aware that the archive of your course will not be a true reflection of your 2015/16 course.
If you wish to update your Moodle course for 2016/17 before 16th August, we recommend that you add items to the relevant sections within the course, but set them as ‘hidden’ until after 16th August. You can reveal them and delete any 2015/16 content after this point. Alternatively, you could update your external files and wait until after 16th August to upload them
Making Moodle available to 2016/17 students
Moodle courses are automatically hidden when the student data is reset. This is to prevent new students from accessing resources they shouldn’t see.
When your course is ready, you will need to make it visible.
If you have any questions please email LTI.Support@lse.ac.uk