Each year, Moodle courses are refreshed to remove old student data and prepare for the next cohort of students. Current staff and students will need to take action to ensure they have all the information they need from Moodle before the refresh take effect.
Note: Courses are made unavailable (hidden) to students as part of the refresh. Editors will need to make them available to the new cohort when ready.
For 2017, the reset will take place on:
Tuesday 15 August and Wednesday 16 August. Moodle will be unavailable all day for all users.
Tuesday 12th September 2017 for courses used to collect dissertation submissions (primarily those with 499 course codes). These courses will be unavailable on Moodle all day.
For 2018 the reset will take place on:
Tuesday 14 August and Wednesday 15 August 2018. Moodle will be unavailable all day for all users.
Tuesday 11th September 2018 for courses used to collect dissertation submissions (primarily those with 499 course codes). These courses will be unavailable on Moodle all day.
If you would like your course/s to be exempt from the 2018 refresh please fill in our online form.
- All student enrolments
- Forum posts (and attachments) by students, teachers, and editors
- Events (in the course calendar)
- All student contributions, including :
- Assignment submissions
- Course completion data
- Groups (and group members)
- Local role overrides
- Quiz attempts
- Survey answers
- Survey analysis
- Wiki entries, comments and tags
- Any content uploaded by editors: Readings lists, lecture notes, links to papers etc.
- User accounts; staff and continuing students use the same accounts in the next academic year.
- Forum subscriptions
- Forum tracking preferences
- Groupings (groups of groups)
If your dissertation will be submitted through Moodle, you will have until 12th September to make your submission and download any items you may need. You will not be able to submit assignments for the 2016/17 academic year through Moodle after 12th September, and must make other arrangements with your course teachers for late submissions.
The majority of students will not have access to their 2016/17 Moodle courses beyond 15th August. Students must have downloaded any items they wish to continue to use before 15th August, and you must have downloaded all student assignment submissions.
The exceptions to this are:
- Courses used to collect dissertation submissions, which primarily applies to courses with course codes ending in 499. For these, the later reset date of 12th September will apply.
- Courses that will be used again by current students, e.g. departmental and programme level undergraduate courses. These will carry forward their student data to 2017/18.
After 12th September 2017, Moodle cannot be used to collect submissions for assignments due in the 2016/17 academic session. Separate arrangements must be made for students submitting 2016/17 assignments after 12th September.
If you have not already done so, you must contact LTI as soon as possible if your course is scheduled to be reset on 15th August and you would like to be available until the later reset date of 12th September, or if your course should retain all student data for 2017/18.
If you wish to update your Moodle course for 2017/18 before 15th August, we recommend that you add items to the relevant sections within the course, but set them as ‘hidden’ until after 15th August. You can reveal them and delete any 2016/17 content after this point. Alternatively, you could update your external files and wait until after 15th August to upload them
When your course is ready, you will need to make it visible.
If you have any questions please email LTI.Support@lse.ac.uk